Saturday 16 March 2019

The Birth

Hi Loves,

I was asked to make a scarf, the customer was very specific in her colours and size...

"I need it to be black with yellow at the very edge, it should be 6" wide and 40 inches long".

Wow!!

I have tons of scarf patterns but as of late the urge to design my own has been getting stronger and stronger. So that's what I did.

I've designed pouches and bags, but never written anything down, even if I replicated it, who knew it was this hard putting your creation to paper?

It normally takes 7-9 months for a baby to be born, but my birth took only a few hours.  My very first written pattern

How it all went down!!!!!

I played around to ensure I got the width correct (6"), once that has been achieved then it's easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

I first thought of making a full seed stitch scarf but after a few rows in, honestly, boredom started to surface.  My lazy inner being started to complain

"This is taking too long". " blah, blah, blah"

Then came Mrs. Enthusiastic screaming in my ear... "HEY, Why not do a few rows of garter stitch". We 🖐🖐 high-five each other and just like that the pattern started taking shape.

Man, I just love my staff (me, myself, and I) hahaha...😜😜😜

I completed the scarf and it was an absolute beauty, but sadly I didn't get to photograph it.  Want to know why? Sure you do.

I have no pics as I did the finishing touches while in a taxi heading to make the delivery.

After making my delivery (she loved it btw), I came home and scribbled some more.  With no picture to post, I had to recreate my masterpiece and that's exactly what I did.  I started doing it in black but thought against it and went for a light green yarn I had in my stash.

The aim was to replicate, type, proofread, export to pdf, and post for sale on Ravelry by January 4th, 2019 (my baby's birthday). It didn't seem possible up to January 3rd but by 10:30 pm on the 4th, with a finished scarf, the pattern is written and pdf ready, I posted my very first pattern for sale (https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/garter-seedling-scarf).  2019 is off to a good start.

Now the waiting begins, will people like it? Will they purchase it? Either way, I was bubbling with pride, I finally wrote and posted a pattern.  There is no stopping me now.

The Masterpiece 

Without any fringe or tassel.

Crochet loop stitch finish.

Tassel end

Adding Tassels

Wrap your yarn around a book or piece of cardboard (or anything you desire).  Cut to the length you like and let's get started.

Insert hook

Loop the yarn over the hook and pull it through.

Take your loose end and pull through the opening.

Twist and pull through the opening once more.

Pull to tighten and form a knot, repeat until the entire edge is covered.

How to do the crochet loop stitch edging?


You can watch this video or search " crochet loop stitch" via YouTube and follow along.  This stitch is really easy once you get the hang of it.

Let me know what you think, if you purchase my pattern, please share your finished scarf.



2 comments:

  1. You are such an inspiration. Keep up the good work. If I were to jump into crochet, you know I would buy your pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Foundation Single Crochet

Hi Loves We will be learning about the Foundation Single Crochet (FSC) stitch today.  This stitch has you completing the chain and single cr...