Friday 13 September 2019

Who am I?

Hi loves,

I know you all must be wondering, who is behind Khenzuri?  How did the name Khenzuri came to be?  This is how.

Hi, my name is Melissa Laidlaw, I am the proud founder of Khenzuri's Treasures also known as Khenzuri.  I've always desired to own my own business, before having kids it was to own a salon with a difference.  One with class and structure, one that will set appointments and keep them, one that has an open and closing time that actually means something.

I went to  The Heart College of Cosmetology to gain accreditation as a Cosmetologist.  Just as I completed my studies and was getting ready to start up, tragedy struck on September 4, 2008 with the death of the father of my then soon to be 2-year-old baby Khensani.  My baby was already attending school (that devastating event happened on her 2nd day of school) and with the breadwinner no longer in the picture, I had to put my dreams on hold and go out and seek employment.

I went on the interview on September 27, 2008 and started working October 10, 2008 (my birthday🎈 πŸŽ‰ 🎁 btw).  The years pass one, two, three and before you know it, I was there 8 years. My baby no longer a baby, and with the demand of ensuring she gets a good education and the bills it seemed my dream had slowly faded and had became only a mythical thought.

In 2011 I took up my needles and started crocheting again, researching new stitches and patterns.  I made mostly bags then, and on one of my many visits to my local yarn shop the owner asked "why don't you take your stuff to JBDC"..  I didn't know who they were, she gave me their info, but I didn't act on it initially.

January 4, 2016 I gave birth to my second child Zuri, and a few months after she turned a year old,  I was made redundant.  With time now on my side I contacted JBDC and made an appointment to showcase my talent. I took a wide variety of things that I've made, bags, doilies, pot holders, 2 swimwear, and a doll. It seemed nothing interested them but the doll. I was a bit disappointed as they were all lovely items, it was explained that they had others who were doing swimwear and bags, doilies would not be an hit as I wouldn't be compensated for them due to mass production.  They however loved the doll and asked that I think about producing them.

I went home do further research and decided on a entirely new design.  I took in the prototype for approval and was given the go ahead to start production, there was just one issue, I had to be registered which means I need a name right????

Think Melissa, think, what would a good name be, then eureka!!!! πŸ’‘πŸ’‘πŸ’‘.

(Khensani + Zuri - Sani = Khenzuri)

And just like that Khenzuri / Khenzuri's Treasures was born on July 03, 2017.


Image may contain: Melissa Laidlaw

Founder/Owner Melissa Laidlaw.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Extended Single Crochet (ESC)

Hi Loves, Today we will learn about extended single crochet  (ESC).  This is done by making a few modifications to the way in which you do t...